Thursday, March 5, 2009

Dough Therapy

I always think about the deepest things when I'm work, usually when I'm making dough. Something about the no-thought-required part of making dough allows my mind to wander all over the place. I listen to the radio and the u93 morning guys crack me up. They're always asking people to call in about a weird phobia they have, or if anything lucky happened to them on their birthday, or their reaction to a woman who was caught breast feeding her baby while driving and talking on the cell phone all at once. Good discussions like that.

In between laughing at the radio when I'm by myself, I usually think about my future. About where I'm going to be in the next few years and who I'll be around. Like I've said before, next year is my last year of college (I hope) and I'll be going solo, without Trent. In my previous posts I've talked about how I'll probably feel lonely and sad. About how I'll miss hanging out with Trent and having someone to talk to. Basically, I talked about how crappy/lonely it's going to be.

However, yesterday when I was at work, I had another one of those dough-making epiphanies. Maybe I won't be sad. Maybe I'll actually talk to my classmates and make friends for once. Maybe I won't have to rely on Trent so much. I'm gonna have to drive by myself and learn how to drive in the crappy weather. I'll actually have to be independent for a change! Not that I'm totally dependent right now, I pay my own rent and my own tuition. But just the sheer fact of being alone is independence for me. I have plenty of people around me who take care of me on a daily basis. I guess what I'm trying to say is that being by myself up here at IUSB is going to be a growing experience I need in order to kinda become an adult. I'm such a follower so being by myself is gonna force me to make my own decisions and become more independent.

I think it'll be good for me and Trent's relationship too. I think it'll be good for us to spend a little bit of time apart. We've been together almost daily for over 5 years now and it's always been "Trent and Abby," like we're just one entity. Well, hopefully after next year it'll be "Trent" and "Abby." You get me? lol We've meshed together so much over the years that we're kinda losing our orignal selves and becoming the same person. I just think that by spending a little bit of time apart will help us get back to "Trent" and "Abby" and we'll be better as a couple, kinda rediscover each other. It'll be fun! :)

I feel very optimistic about the coming year. It might be hard and lonely at first, but it'll only better me in the long run.

Abby

p.s.- Based on my previous grades, I have been given the opportunity to become a lifetime member of Psi Chi, a national honor society for psychology students. Yay!

2 comments:

Trent said...

Psi Chi? Sounds like something at the Chinese restaurant!

basedonfaith said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ABBY!!
LOVE YA,
GRAMMA